Season 1, Episode 4: “Cal Sweeney”
5. “Alcatraz” turned up its science fiction aspects in the epilogue to “Cal Sweeney,” a story about a time-jumping inmate who once ran the illegal drug trade at Alcatraz and reappears in 2012 to romance bank clerks in order to rob safety deposit boxes.
4. The prisoners who disappeared in 1963 have possessed or sought out special keys — some of them laser cut which was impossible when the prison was built.
3. The keys baffle even Agent Hauser (Sam Neill) and his team of scientists working under the Rock, but they believe the keys have something to do with how the prisoners jumped nearly 50 years into the future.
2. Hauser seems content to keep Doc (Jorge Garcia) and Madsen (Sarah Jones) in the dark, leaving them to chase down the reappearing weirdos each week, but that’s likely to change with minds as keen as theirs.
1. The episode ends with a promising trip to a secret triple-locked subterranean enclave — opened, of course, by the same keys turning up with the convicts — and suddenly everything feels very time-traveling island, but in a good way.